- Assessor's Office
- Attorney's Office
- Building Department
- Central Fire Alarm
- Comptroller's Office
- Contract Compliance & Administration
- Department of Information Technology
- Economic Development
- Emergency Services & Safety
- Engineering Department
- Finance Department
- Highway Department
- Human Resources
- Office of the Supervisor
- Planning Department
- Police Department
- Senior Services
- Town Clerk
- Town Court
- Youth and Recreation Department
A marriage license may be obtained in the Town Clerk's Office Monday through Friday from 8:00 am-4:00pm. The cost of an original certified Marriage License is $40.00. You must have a license to be legally married in New York State. Applicants must appear in person together.
Proof of age and identity are required. Acceptable age related documents include:
- Government issued birth certificate with the raised seal. Birth certificates that are in a foreign language must be accompanied with a certified translation.
- Original Naturalization Record if the record matches the origin of birth
In addition, one of the following identity related documents:
- Driver's license : Government issued photo ID with expiration date.
- Passport : Government issued photo ID with expiration date.
- Immigration record
Once a license is issued, there is a 24-hour period before the license becomes valid. A license is valid for 60 days during the solemnization period.
Information regarding previous marriages must be furnished at the time of application.
- If the marriage applicant is a widow/widower, a certified death certificate must be provided.
- If the marriage applicant is divorced, information provided must include: when, where, and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted. A certified copy of the Decree of Divorce or a Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage is required.
Once the marriage has taken place and the license has been processed, additional certified copies are available by providing proper identification and a $10.00 fee.
For your convenience you may process online requests through VitalChek Network, Inc. an independent company. They can be reached either online at www.vitalchek.com or by phone at (800) 255-2414. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using their service. They accept all major credit cards. The Town of Amherst is not responsible for the operation of this service. VitalChek assumes all liability.