Chief Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator (Full Time)
Description of Duties
- Plans, assigns and supervises the plant's operation and maintenance;
- Supervises the operation of the plant to assure the most efficient and economical use of equipment, supplies, and manpower;
- Makes frequent inspections of the plant to ensure safe and efficient operation and adherence to required standards;
- Supervises and performs necessary chemical analysis for control of plant operation;
- Supervises the treatment and disposal of sludge;
- Supervises the maintenance and repair of machinery;
- Maintains operational, maintenance, personnel and work records, and prepares periodic reports;
- Maintains inventory of supplies, chemicals and equipment and makes requisitions for same;
- Assists in the preparation of the operating budget;
- Assigns personnel to appropriate shifts.
May require a Civil Service Examination.
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered four (4) year college or university with a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Art degree and four (4) years of satisfactory experience in the operation of a Type 4A wastewater treatment plant, at least one (1) year of which was in a responsible supervisory position; or:
B) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and eight (8) years of satisfactory experience in the opertion of a wastewater treatment plant, at least four (4) years of which is experience in the operation of a Type 4A treatment plant, one (1) year which was in a responsible supervisory position; or
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B) and meeting the requirements as outlined by New York State's Department of Environmental Conservation for a Type 4A Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator's Certification.
Possession of a Grade 4A Wastewater Treatment Plant Certificate issued by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Possession of a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
NOTE: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.
Rate of Pay
Based on experience
How to Apply
Non-Town residents may be eligible for Town employment in certain positions – please contact the Town of Amherst Human Resources Department to find out if you may be eligible.
Forms should be mailed or delivered to:
5583 Main St
Williamsville, NY 14221
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Mon-Fri)