Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator - Trainee (Full Time)
Description of Duties
- Performs study and reading assignments, observes demonstrations and otherwise learns the techniques of operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant;
- Learns and assists in the operation and adjustments of pumps, valves, screens and related mechanical equipment;
- Learns and assists in the making of tests to determine chlorine residual;
- Cleans channels, screens, tanks and other equipment;
- Learns and assists in the preparation and maintenance of activity records and reports;
- Performs increasingly responsible duties as assigned in the operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant.
May require a Civil Service Examination.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma.
NOTE: This is a trainee position in the Competitive Class for which candidates are selected on the basis of general intelligence, basic knowledge of elementary chemistry and general science and mechanical aptitude.
Term of appointment is limited to one (1) year during which time employees should be required to satisfactorily complete the training and experience requirements of the New York State Sanitary Code for a certificate appropriate to the plant.
NOTE: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.
Rate of Pay
How to Apply
Non-Town residents may be eligible for Town employment in certain positions – please contact the Town of Amherst Human Resources Department to find out if you may be eligible.
Forms should be mailed or delivered to:
5583 Main St
Williamsville, NY 14221
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Mon-Fri)