- Assessor's Office
- Attorney's Office
- Building Department
- Central Fire Alarm
- Comptroller's Office
- Contract Compliance & Administration
- Department of Information Technology
- Economic Development
- Emergency Services & Safety
- Engineering Department
- Finance Department
- Highway Department
- Human Resources
- Office of the Supervisor
- Planning Department
- Police Department
- Senior Services
- Town Clerk
- Town Court
- Youth and Recreation Department
How to obtain a Marriage License
A marriage license may be obtained through the Town Clerk's Office, Monday through Friday, by APPOINTMENT ONLY.You must fill out and return the application and include copies of identification listed below (do not send originals) along with a check for $40 per couple payable to the “Town of Amherst” and mail to the *address at the bottom of the page. Once we receive the requested information and payment, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment.
On the day of your scheduled appointment, you must call (716) 631-7021 at least one hour ahead to confirm your appointment. Remember to bring your ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS and WEAR A MASK to your appointment.
You are required to have a marriage license to be legally married in New York State. Applicants have to appear together, and in person. Proof of age and identity are required. Acceptable age related documents include:
- Government issued birth certificate with the raised seal. Birth certificates that are in a foreign language must be accompanied with a certified translation. OR
- Original Naturalization Record if the record matches the origin of birth.
In addition, one of the following identity related documents is required:
- Driver's license: Government issued photo ID with expiration date.
- Passport: Government issued photo ID with expiration date.
- Immigration record.
Information regarding previous marriages must be sent with application.
- If the marriage applicant is a widow/widower, a certified death certificate must be provided.
- If the marriage applicant is divorced, information provided must include: when, where, and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted. A certified copy of the Decree of Divorce or a Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage is required.
Upon issuance of the license, there is a 24-hour waiting period before the license becomes valid. A license is valid for 60 days during the solemnization period.
After the marriage has taken place and the license has been processed, additional certified copies can be obtained by providing proper identification and a check made payable to the Town of Amherst for $10 (each).
Fax: (716) 631-7152
* Attention: Vital Records
Amherst Town Clerk
5583 Main Street
Williamsville, NY 14221
Once the marriage has taken place and the license has been processed, additional certified copies are available by providing proper identification and a $10.00 fee.
For your convenience you may process online requests through VitalChek Network, Inc. an independent company. They can be reached either online at www.vitalchek.com or by phone at (800) 255-2414. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using their service. They accept all major credit cards. The Town of Amherst is not responsible for the operation of this service. VitalChek assumes all liability.